Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Listen up

I was reading Proverbs 13 this morning-half asleep-and this verse jumped out at me. I knew this had to be a noteworthy verse if it caused the jaw drop. Prov. 13:10 Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

1. Pride causes arguments.
How many times have we started an argument because we think what we have to say is important because WE are RIGHT and THEY are WRONG? Or how many times are we thinking of something to say before the person is done talking to us? We are saying, what I have to say is more important and valuable that what you have to say. Just speaking the truth in love to me and you.
THEN-I read James 1:19 which says "be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry".

2. Slow to listen causes arguments.
How many times are you slow to listen, instead of quick to listen like God's Word says? I know I have. I remember talking to my sister several times about situations she was going through. Before she was done telling me her story, I was already telling her about my story similar to hers and how I would have handled it.

3. Quick to speak causes arguments .
I don't know about you, but when someone interrupts me, I am quick to interrupt back or remind them that they interrupted me. For example, I would say something like, "Back to the story I was telling", or "Ok, I am going to finish my story". I am sure if it bugs me, it bugs others. I know I interrupt and have been interrupted. Be slow to speak!

4. Quick to become angry is the argument!
The faster you get angry, the faster the other person is going to get angry! That sounds like a DUH statement but if we don't want to argue, why do you get upset so fast? Granted, there are times you cannot "let things go" and you must talk about it to find a solution. But, sometimes,we are arguing just to prove a point that WE are RIGHT. THE other person is WRONG. Speak the truth in love. Not in pride. Not in anger.

5. Listening creates wisdom!
Proverbs 13:10b says "wisdom is found in those who take advice". Stop, listen, and apply. When someone is talking to you, refrain from talking back and proving a point. Listen to what they have to say.

Friends, I am working on this myself. I don't have this down. What I try to do every morning to pray to God, "Lord, help me be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.

For more info about me or KidPointe ministry, check out www.crosspointechurch.tv/ministries.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment