Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Golden Rule

Right now our church is currently reading through the New Testament in 90 days. What I read today was a good reminder, but it also revealed something I need to change.

Have you ever thought that you were good at something, and then one day figure out that you were not? For example, I remember when I was 15 yrs old, I would sing in the car like I was the next American Idol with my sister and my dad in the car. I promise you that their faces looked disgusted when I sang. I remember they would tell me all the time how horrible I was, but I didn't believe it. Well, one day, my dreams of becoming a singer were shot because my sister told me I sounded similiar to a cat getting thrown into water.(Ok the last sentence probably didn't happen).

All that to say, I finally realized that I was not a singer.I thought about what my family had said. I listened to myself and compared my voice to good singers. Hmm. My parents were right. I'm not so great at singing.
At the time, I was devistated. Crushed. The only singing I did was by myself in the car or the shower for awhile. :(

Well in High School, someone told me that I should try out for choir. Me? Yeah right. Everyone gets accepted into Choir, and they wouldn't let me go in there.

So, this is what I read this morning. Matt 7:12 So in everything, DO TO OTHERS WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO TO YOU, FOR THIS SUMS UP THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.
At first, I thought, well I am great at that!(Just like I thought I was good at singing) I am an outgoing person. I work at a church. I read my Bible. So on and so forth....

Not really. I actually had a time of reflection and thought about times where I have treated someone a way that I would not have wanted to be treated.

For example, have you been quick to judge someone when they forget something? Have you been quick to get angry when someone gets under your skin? I know I have. I know there are times that I will work up this situation in my head of what I WOULD HAVE DONE IF I WERE THEM.

Matt 7:1 Do not judge, of you too will be judged.

Put yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you want to be treated?
James 1:19 says to be QUICK TO LISTEN, SLOW TO SPEAK, AND SLOW TO GET ANGRY.Think before you judge. Think before you speak. Think before you think you are good at something. God will show you that you always have room to grow!

To learn more about KidPointe, visit http://crosspointechurch.tv/ministries.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment